Your wedding might be over, but that doesn’t mean you have to forget about your wedding dress. You’ve spent quite a bit of time finding the perfect one and that hardly justifies throwing it in the closet or some random storage space, never to be seen again now does it?
You never know when you might need it again, whether it’s to sell it, give it to a friend, or even a daughter to use at her own wedding. There are certain techniques and solutions to make sure that you maintain your gown’s quality and appearance over the years. It’s always a good idea to try and preserve that dress you worked so hard to get.
Here are some tips on preserving your wedding dress, so that it keeps its value and lasts for a long time.
- Bring your dress to the dry cleaners as soon as possible after your wedding. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Getting your gown professionally cleaned will prolong its value and will last in whatever storage conditions you plan on putting it in.
- Inspect the gown. Before you plan on storing the dress, you want to make sure that it is in impeccable condition with no holes, tears, imperfections, discoloration, missing beadwork etc.
- Storage conditions. Finding the right storage option in terms of the box and storage conditions is very important. It usually is moisture that will end up ruining the dress, so make sure that it is kept in a place where the temperature will stay the same. Remember cool and dry is best.
- Out of sight, out of light. Keep your dress away from the direct sunlight, because that will cause your dress to have a slight discoloration, and it won’t be as white as it was when you put it in.
- Handle the dress with care. To help preserve the shape of your gown, we recommend storing it in a box rather than hanging it in the closet, because the weight of your dress could possibly stretch and distort the gown. Also, make sure not to store the dress in a plastic container or bag because the plastic will allow for the release of chemicals that might turn your dress yellow.
At VIP Dry Cleaners, our dry cleaners know exactly what to do when it comes to wedding dress preservation and storage. If you have any questions or problems when it comes to preserving your wedding dress, don’t hesitate to give us a call today!